The latest versions of Malware I have been witnessing is rather clever and tries to trick the user into believing that all of their files are deleted. First off make sure you have removed all the infections by running your virus protection and following the Computer Solutions LLC’s malware removal instructions (see here).
Once you have removed the infections and your files are still missing, follow the instructions below:
1. Open “My Computer”
2. Select “C:/ Drive” (or main hard drive is different letter)
3a. For XP, go to C:\Document and Settings
3b. For Vista/Windows 7 go to C:\Users
4. Now you are looking at what should be where all your personal data is stored.
5. You might not see anything in here as the Malware infection has hidden all folders
6. TO UN-HIDE FOLDERS: Go up to “Tools”, then down to “Folder Options”. (If you don’t see the Tools menu bar, press “alt” and it will show the menu bar. (SEE BELOW)
7. Scroll down to “Hidden files and folders”, and select “Show hidden files and folders” (SEE BELOW)
8. Press “OK”, now you should see your user folder (named your user name)
9. Right mouse click on your folder, select “Properties”. Now un-check the box that says “Hidden”.
10. Press “OK” and select “Apply to all sub-folders and files”, let the process finish and you should have all of your documents back.
11. You might want to perform the same option described in steps 9 & 10 to default user, or all users to bring back all of your start menu items.
12. When you have all of your files un-hidden, you will want to repeat steps 6 & 7 in reverse order to re-hide hidden folders.
13. Done, you should be malware free and have all of your personal files back._________________________________________________________________________________
The Computer Solution llc
Computer Repair Durango CO - PC Repair Durango CO - Mac Repair Durango CO - Tech Support - Virus Removal - Ransomware removal - Windows 7 - Windows 8 - Windows 10 - Mac OS X